TO PERFORM Tensile Testing Of STEEL
This Tensile Testing Of STEEL or BEND TEST ON STEEL covers the determination of brittle or ductile behavior of steel.(ASTM A615/A615M).
Ductility is important in steel bars so that the structural member in which steel is being used is also ductile. Brittle materials are not always preferred in Civil structures due to their abrupt fracture and failure. Ductile materials, on the other hand, give significant safety time before collapsing.
Universal Testing Machine, Test specimen, certain accessories like Bending table, Supports &Pins, etc.
BEND TEST ON STEEL Procedure
- Prepare a test specimen.
- Measure the diameter of the steel rod. Take at least three readings and calculate the mean value of the diameter.
- Place the test specimen in the bend test apparatus in such a position that the plane intersecting the longitudinal ribs is parallel to the axis of the pin.
- Apply force to the test specimen continuously and uniformly throughout the bending operation.
- Discontinue the application of load when the angle of bent specified in the material specimen has been achieved before the rebound.
- Examine the tension surface of the specimen for cracking.
Observations & Calculations
|S.No||Designation of Steel Bar||Specified Bend Angle|
|1||3 to 11||1800|
|2||14 & 18||900|
Standard bend angles.
|Bar Designation No||Pin Diameter For Bend Test|
|Grade 40||Grade 60||Grade 75|
|3, 4, 5||3 ½ d||3 ½ d||–|
|6||5 d||5 d||5d|
|7, 8||–||5 d||5d|
|9, 10,11||–||7 d||7d|
|14, 18||–||9 d||9 d|
Standard Pin diameters
Diameter of steel rod=……………
Bend angle of given rod=…………
- Examine the tension surface carefully.
- Do not load the specimen once its specified bend angle is reached.
- Load should be applied uniformly.
For more experiments and lab manuals keep visiting our blog page.